Saturday, August 20, 2011

Steel-Cut Oatmeal

This is something my husband made the other day, and it was arguably the best oatmeal I've ever had. I mean, this is the way I want to have oatmeal from now on! Here's how he made it:   

For the oatmeal:
1 cup steel cut oats
1tbsp butter
4 cups water
salt
Toppings:
cream
brown sugar
cinnamon
nutmeg

Toast the oats with butter in a saucepan over med-high heat. This takes just a few minutes. Turn the heat down and let the oats cool while you boil the water.


Measure the water into the saucepan with the oats, cook over med-low heat for about 15 minutes.


Add a pinch of salt, stir. Then cook for another 5-10 minutes until the oatmeal reaches the desired consistency. 



Add whatever toppings you like: cinnamon, nutmeg, cream, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, fruits, etc. My personal favorite is with some cream, brown sugar, and spices.

No comments:

Post a Comment