Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thai Chicken

On a lark, I decided to make Thai Chicken. Keep in mind that this is American Thai food. It's an exotic twist on familiar ingredients, just enough to push sissies out of their comfort zone (soy sauce? peanut butter? I know what those are but why are they together?!) I love how it turned out, and would certainly make it again in a heartbeat, especially with all the ginger I have leftover. I had leftover cilantro from the guacamole I made, and I was in a hurry to use it before it wilted. I'm really glad I added the cilantro, it goes wonderfully in this dish! This is what I came up with after mixing & matching recipes and ad-libbing. I never learn, do I? Well, good thing, because it turned out amazing. I'm making a note here: huge success. These pictures are from the first time I made them, but I included bonus veggies in the recipe from the second attempt.
Here's what goes in :

2 chicken breasts, halved (opened like a butterfly), then thinly sliced into strips width-wise
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tbsp oil
1 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced/grated
1/2 onion, chopped (it was supposed to be green, but I used what I have!)
sliced green and red bell pepper (about 1/4 pepper each)
2 cups of diced broccoli (I used frozen)
1 rib of celery, sliced
1 carrot, peeled & sliced
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Sauce:
7 tbsp soy sauce
5 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp Worcestershire
4 tbsp creamy PB
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 tbsp brown sugar


In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, worceserchire, vinegar, peanut butter, curry, cayenne, and brown sugar. Add more or less of any ingredient to suit your tastes.


Mix until creamy (I found it hard to eliminate clumps of PB at first, but the texture improves as it sits... maybe the vinegar breaks it down?)



Cook your chicken, garlic, and ginger in a skillet or wok over med-high in the oil until the chicken is browned on the outside. Note: The chicken browns best in a dry pan.  That is, add the minimum oil and omit juices, otherwise it will look white like mine. Your choice!


Throw in your array of veggies as well as the peanuts. Cook for about 10 mins, until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are nice and soft.


Throw in the sauce you made (it should be the right texture now, give it a good mixing if needed) and mix everything up. Let it sit for one minute.



Add the cilantro and turn off the heat.


Serve over rice or rice noodles and enjoy! It's going to taste great! This should be enough for about 6, depending on how ravenous your family is. I tried feeding it to my brothers and this would have been about enough for two teenagers. Note: If you have teenagers, make triple and just throw it all in a trough. If not, just serve over a bowl of rice or noodles and they will get coated in that yummy sauce!



1 comment:

  1. This may seriously be the best thing you've made yet. I want this again. And Picadillo. And other foods too. Why am I not a bigger fatters married to you?!

    ReplyDelete