Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mango dessert sauce

Remember the Mango Crisp? We had loads of leftover mangoes, so I made some sauce for ice cream.
 This is so subtle and delectable. I'm not a big mango fan, but we used the sweetest, most ripe and perfectly textured mangoes that I suddenly became a fan. I'm a huge fan of this sauce. Suddenly I want all ice cream to be smooth vanilla with heaps of this creamy sauce on top. You could probably even put ice cream in the blender with it and make a mango shake with lime and rum! I mean, forget ever going out for dessert. This is goooood. It's so simple. If you love mangoes, you'll love this!

Cut your mangoes into chunks. The size doesn't matter because they are going into the blender. Read this article if you're unfamiliar with scoring a mango. I prefer to scoop them out with a spoon, but a blunt knife works. Plop them in the blender. If you're like me, you can save the juices or suck them off the skin and seed. So juicy. Add turbinado or sweetener of choice (It strangely is not overly sweet) and add the rum. Puree until chunks are gone. Refrigerate. That's it!
I put about 3-4 cups at a time into the blender. (5 mangoes gave me about 6 cups)
I added 1/4 cup turbinado (brown or white sugar if no turbinado on hand) and
1/4 cup rum (dark rum preferred).
I added the juice from 1/2 a lime for each batch. I think it was about 1 tbsp.


I made it before with turbinado, and I think it tasted better. Fresh, ripe (but not over-ripe, slightly firm) mangoes give the best flavor.


The rum gives a slight flavor, (but a good one!) so add more or less to your tastes. Omit if you desire.


This was the product of 5 mangoes. I stuck them in the freezer!


The texture is like runny jello. I would recommend serving it from the fridge, not at room temperature. Serve over ice cream, cheesecake, or dessert of choice. The internet tells me it will keep for months in the freezer. I've kept a batch for 2 weeks in the fridge, and it looks more translucent but tastes just as good. Don't take my word for it, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment